Tuesday 22 May 2007

Being a japanese craft junkie

Long time ago I got bitten by the japanese craft book-bug. These japanese books take up a lot of space here, but nevertheless I have eagerly been awaiting another fix. And it was a good mail day today!



The large book in the middle is filled with georgeous lace crochet patterns. The two small ones holds wonderfull, simple sewing patterns for girls garments. My japanese vocabulary is non-existing, but the patterns are really not hard to follow. Don't know if it is the case with all japanese craft books, but the majority of those I have seen have been very visual and giving pretty understandable instructions. Off cause it can help a bit to have a japanese stitch-ionary handy when dealing with some japanese knitting patterns ;-)

But I am not supposed to make use of the above books right now. In stead I should allocate my craft time to this:



The Rainbow design in Rowan Summer Tweed from The Kashbah Collection. Ehem - no, I am not knitting a rainbow. Stripes tend to somehow "broaden the horizon", so I'll make do with a monochrome version. Hope this is one of those knits that I will actually finish!

By the way - try to pop over to Lolly and take a look at her great Bohus sweater!

5 comments:

alltangledup said...

stripes are great to knit but hard for most people to wear. so you're into Japanese crafting books.. so far I have yet to succumb to that .. i get all twitching just with the thought of another tangent hobbies decreasing my knitting time ...

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh...you've been bitten hard! What I now realize about all of those gorgeous books is that I'm going to need to take six months to translate the pattern symbols. How we suffer for our art. :-)

Mieke said...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knittinginjapan/

Do you already know the yahoo group knittingjapan?

Anonymous said...

The combination of Amy Butler fabrics and Japanese craft books is dangerous and addictive!

Do you have a good source for the books you can recommend?

Dr. Steph said...

I'm knitting with that same colour of summer tweed right now.

Nice sweater choice--it'll look great in a solid colour.